Updated at 6:07 a.m. ET: CAIRO -- One person was shot dead and at least 18 others were injured in overnight clashes between security forces and angry soccer fans in Egypt's Port Said, authorities said.
Supporters of Al-Masry were upset because their team had been banned for two seasons in the wake of the country's worst stadium disaster.
"Hundreds of angry fans clashed with military police after the decision was announced," one witness told Reuters.
Citing the Al-Ahram newspaper, the BBC reported that a 13-year-old boy died in hospital after being shot in the back.
NBC News reported that protests by Al-Masry supporters on Saturday also prevented thousands of workers from entering Port Said's investment zone.
The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) banned Al-Masry on Friday following the pitch invasion that killed 74 fans last month. In that game, Al-Masry beat Cairo's Al-Ahly. However, some fans were upset for what they said were obscene signs raised by Al-Ahly club fans.
Survivors of the stadium riot say men wielding batons, knifes, and fireworks streamed from Al-Masry stands and stormed the field to attack Al-Ahly fans, stabbing them, undressing them and tossing them off bleachers while the police looked on.
At least 74 people were killed and hundreds more injured when rival soccer fans in Egypt rioted after a match. NBC's Ayman Mohyeldin reports from Cairo.
The melee sparked days of street protests. Most of the dead were members of Ultras Ahlawy, a group of avid politicized soccer fans who have long enmity with the police. Ultras has played a key role in the uprising against Hosni Mubarak.
Egyptian prosecutors have indicted several top Al-Masry and security officials amid claims they conspired or were negligent during last month's violence.
The latest clashes began late Friday and continued into early Saturday, witnesses said.
Military police fired shots in the air to disperse hundreds of soccer fans protesting outside the Suez Canal Authority building in Port Said.
"One was shot dead, in the back, and 18 were injured in the clashes, two of them are suffering gunshot wounds," a medical source said.
Earlier, the EFA said in a statement that Al-Masry's soccer activities would be suspended for the 2011/12 and 2012/13 seasons. The club would be reinstated to the Premier League in the 2013/14 season.
Port Said Stadium, where the stampede took place, would be closed for three years, the EFA said.
During the February pitch invasion, steel doors at the stadium were bolted shut, trapping fans trying to escape from the stands and dozens were crushed to death.
Many fans blamed the government for failing to send enough police to the stadium given the tense build-up to the match, and many believe the violence was started by hired thugs. At least 1,000 people were injured.
Prosecutors referred 75 people, including nine security officials in Port Said, to the criminal court on March 15 to face trial over the violence.
NBC News' Ayman Mohyeldin, msnbc.com staff and Reuters contributed to this report.
More from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Staff Sgt. Robert Bales charged with 17 counts of murder in Afghanistan massacre
- Syrians brave tear gas, gunfire in anti-Assad protests
- China struggles to contain wave of defiance in Tibet
- Police: Suspect in French killing spree was hit by 20 bullets
- Landmark case: Nigerian villagers sue Shell over oil spills
Follow us on Twitter: @msnbc_world