Updated at 8:54 a.m. ET: Qatar-based news channel al-Jazeera has pledged not to air footage of the killings carried out in France by an al-Qaida-inspired gunman after President Nicolas Sarkozy pleaded with broadcasters not to show the disturbing scenes.
France is still coming to terms with Mohamed Merah's close-range shootings of three Jewish children, a rabbi and three soldiers in the south of the country.
The killings were filmed by Merah using a camera attached to his body, BBC News reported.
"I call on executives of all TV stations that may have the images in their possession not to broadcast them under any pretext out of respect for the victims and for France," Sarkozy said following a meeting with police chiefs in Paris.
Al-Jazeera, which received a memory stick containing the footage, later announced it would not broadcast the video because it "did not add any information that was not already in public domain" and also "did not meet the television station's code of ethics for broadcast."
Zied Tarrouche, al-Jazeera's bureau chief in Paris, told French chanel BFM TV he had watched the video and it showed all of the killing.
"You see all of the attacks carried out in Toulouse and Montauban, that's to say the murder of the first soldier, then the three soldiers and finally the attack on the school," he was quoted as telling the channel in a BBC report.
"You hear the voice of the person who carried out the killings," he added. "You also hear the victims' cries. My feelings are those of any human being who sees horrible things."
The BBC said Mr Tarrouche told the channel the video also contained a mixture of religious songs, readings and Koranic verses.
The package sent to al-Jazeera was dated Wednesday, March 21 - the day that police surrounded Merah in his apartment in the city of Toulouse after a massive manhunt, according to a report in the Parisien daily newspaper.
French special forces shot the young Islamist the following day after a 30-hour siege.
"Investigators are trying to find out whether the letter was posted Tuesday night by Mohamed Merah himself or by an accomplice Wednesday morning," the newspaper wrote.
The Paris prosecutor in charge of the case said last week that the Merah had filmed each of the shootings.
The killings, and subsequent calls for tougher measures to monitor Islamic extremism, come a month before the French presidential election.
NBC News, Reuters and msnbc.com staff contributed to this report.
More from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Bomb plot foiled: Cache of suicide vests found in Afghan defense ministry
- In Brazil, 'Gang of Blondes' kidnapped women, emptied their bank accounts
- Strauss-Kahn hit with preliminary sex-ring charges
- Syria responds to Annan's peace proposal; Homs shelled again
- Expert: Al-Qaida web forums crippled in suspected cyber-attack
Follow us on Twitter: @msnbc_world