Msnbc.com's Al Stirrett reports.
A 33-year-old scuba diver died Saturday in a shark attack off the coast of Western Australia, local media reported.
The man was diving with his brother around one nautical mile offshore near Busselton, which is 125 miles southwest of Perth, WAtoday reported.
WAtoday named the victim as local businessman Peter Kurmann.
Kurmann's brother Gian reportedly told officials that he had seen a 13-foot-long "shark-like" shape in the water.
Police said that all beaches in the area had been closed and that the department of fisheries had launched an investigation, Sky News Australia reported.
The attack occurred at 9:30 a.m. local time Saturday (9:30 p.m. ET Friday). It was not clear what species of shark was involved.
Local media said it was the fourth fatal shark attack off the Western Australia coast since September of last year.
WAtoday said Kurmann leaves behind a wife and two sons, aged two and four.
More from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Lebanon awash with weapons vital to Syrian uprising
- Carnival air in Myanmar ahead of election
- Bin Laden widow denies details of leaked statements
- 'Hero' doctor saves babies caught in Romania corruption
- US complains to Russia about harassment of Ambassador McFaul
- Obama: Tough new sanctions against Iran won't hurt oil supplies
Follow us on Twitter: @msnbc_world