The United States has warned its citizens living in Nigeria that Islamist sect Boko Haram is planning attacks on the capital Abuja, including major hotels there.
"The U.S. Embassy has received information that Boko Haram may be planning attacks in Abuja, Nigeria, including against hotels frequently visited by Westerners," an emergency message on its website said.
Boko Haram has killed hundreds in gun and bomb attacks this year. Its strikes usually target police, authority figures and churches in the mostly Muslim north, although there have been a handful of deadly strikes in and around the capital.
More world news from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Syria first lady Asma Assad told: 'Stop your husband'
- Troops posed with dead bodies in Afghanistan?
- UK considers criminal charges over phone hacking
- Author faces civil suit over 'Three Cups of Tea'
- Scandal sends China's netizens into a feeding frenzy
- Japanese island man lives as naked hermit
- Microsoft Africa chairman named interim leader of Mali
Follow us on Twitter: @msnbc_world