KABUL - At least 80 were confirmed dead in a landslide triggered by two earthquakes in mountainous northern Afghanistan on Tuesday, officials confirmed to NBC News.
A search was continuing for more bodies in the rubble, but was hampered by lack of equipment, officials said.
The governor of Baghlan province told Reuters 22 homes were buried but the bodies of only two women had been recovered. Twenty people were in hospital with injuries.
"We don't think we will be able to take out the other bodies," Governor Abdul Majid said.
The United Nations told Reuters it was working with authorities in the area to determine what aid was needed.
Afghanistan's north is prone to earthquakes. A 2002 quake in the same province killed more than 2,000 people.
Reuters contributed to this report.
More world news from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Greek politician who attacked rivals on TV sues victims for defamation
- Germany grows weary of being Europe's crutch
- Syrian forces shell towns, clash with rebels
- NBC News: Egypt's ex-dictator Hosni Mubarak slips into coma
- Reports: UK PM David Cameron leaves 8-year-old daughter in pub
- Chinese activists: You can't 'suicide' us
Follow us on Twitter: @msnbc_world