Updated at 8:50 am ET: PESHAWAR, Pakistan -- A U.S. drone killed eight suspected Islamist militants in northwest Pakistan on Sunday, security officials said.
A drone missile struck a house in the Shawal Valley where militants were reported to be hiding in the North Waziristan tribal region near the Afghan border.
"Two missiles were fired on a house. Eight militants were killed," said a local intelligence official.
"The area is considered a stronghold of local and foreign militants, but it is not clear at the moment who were killed in the latest drone strike," said a security official in Miranshah, North Waziristan.
The Taliban in North Waziristan had banned an anti-polio immunization campaign in protest over U.S. drone strikes, which they claim are killing civilians.
Reuters contributed to this report.
More world news from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Egypt, Mother of the World, turns new page; citizens await results
- Major powers back Syria transition plan leaving question of Assad open
- Former Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir dies
- Deep impact for many Germans as US troops downsize
- UK won't extradite sex offender accused of raping, molesting girls in US