Alex Livesey / Getty Images
Prince Philip attends the London 2012 Olympic Games at Greenwich Park on July 29.
Updated at 1:50 p.m. ET: LONDON -- Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has been taken to a Scottish hospital as "a precautionary measure," Buckingham Palace said Wednesday.
The 91-year-old Duke of Edinburgh was taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary by car, the palace confirmed with NBC News.
According to a palace statement, he has had a recurrence of a bladder infection that led to his hospitalization for five days in June during the jubilee celebrations marking the queen's 60th year on the throne.
Philip is likely to remain in the hospital for the next few days, according to the palace statement.
The 91-year-old Duke of Edinburgh is back in the hospital for a recurrence of a bladder infection and is likely to remain there for several days according to a statement from Buckingham Palace. NBC's Brian Williams reports.
The royal couple had been staying at their castle in Balmoral, Scotland, the palace told NBC.
After Philip's hospitalized in June, Philip later resumed royal duties, attending the opening ceremony of the Olympics on July 27 and carrying out engagements on the Isle of Wight on Monday.
In December last year, Philip had an operation to clear a blocked heart artery and spent Christmas in the hospital.
Philip is a former naval officer who married the queen in 1947. His health remained robust through his 80s, but he has appeared frailer in recent years.
Her Majesty celebrates 60 years on the throne.
When he turned 90, he told the British Broadcasting Corp. he was "winding down" his involvement with charities, and he has cut back on official duties. But he still carries out some engagements, both with his wife and on his own.
"I reckon I've done my bit so I want to enjoy myself a bit now, with less responsibility, less frantic rushing about, less preparation, less trying to think of something to say. On top of that your memory's going, I can't remember names and things," he told the BBC.
"It's better to get out before you reach the sell-by date," he added.
The Archbishop of Canterbury spoke of the Queen's "very public act of dedication" when she succeeded to the throne and pledged her life to the nation. It's a phrase that sums up both the sixty years of her reign - and her determination not just to carry on with, but to enjoy today's anniversary to the full. ITN's Tim Ewart reports on Her Majesty's day ''without Prince Philip by her side''.
NBC News' Shanshan Dong, The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
More world stories from NBC News:
- Study: Japan nuclear disaster caused mutated butterflies
- Restaurateur claims Games cost her business $140,000
- Video: Virtual tour of the next Olympic city
- Will world inaction help al-Qaida gain foothold in Syria?
- Analysis: Egypt's Morsi shows he's a force to be reckoned with
- Vatican says the 'butler did it,' orders trial
- London 2012: Who were the real winners, losers?