Sahar Parniyan, 22, is Afghanistan’s most famous actress. She stars in the country’s number one comedy, “The Ministry,” an offshoot of the popular American TV show, “The Office.”
Her character on the show has also been outspoken about women’s rights. But now, after receiving death threats, she is now in hiding.
NBC’s Atia Abawi reports from Kabul.
More world stories from NBC News:
- Two female tourists freed after Ecuador kidnap ordeal
- Colonial sins return to haunt former world powers
- Death threats force Afghan actress into hiding
- Experts: Four leopards being killed each week for skins in India
- In Iran, sanctions bite and currency collapses
- Trial of pope's ex-butler over leaked papers begins
- Stay informed: Sign up for our newsletter