Discuss as:

Israeli forces kill Gaza man despite cease-fire

Updated at 7:55 a.m. ET: GAZA -- A 20-year-old Palestinian was killed and 10 others injured by Israeli forces Friday, Palestinian medical officials told NBC News, despite the U.S.-brokered cease-fire declared Wednesday.

The men were shot on the Gaza side of the border as they tried to access their farmland in the eastern part of Khan Younis, the Palestinian Medical Service said early Friday.

Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki said the shooting had broken the cease-fire, Reuters reported. Malki, speaking at a meeting with Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi, called the incident “a clear violation of the agreement and should not be repeated.”

Bernat Armangue / AP

Israel's military said it had accomplished its objectives while Hamas claimed victory after the two sides exchanged deadly airstrikes and rocket attacks for over a week.

The Israeli Defense Forces imposes a no-go zone on the Gaza side of the border, but the officials said the men believed they would be able to access their farmland safely during the truce, which began late Wednesday.

A spokesman for the IDF told NBC News that it did not have any immediately information about the death of Palestinian.

Israel arrests suspects in Tel Aviv bus bombing

The spokesman said there were several "incidents of disquiet and unrest at the Gaza border" and that "Israeli soldiers fired warning shots in the air.”

When the rioters did not comply, the soldiers responded by firing at the rioters legs, the spokesman added.

The cease-fire between Israel and Hamas had been holding firm, with scenes of joy among the ruins in Gaza on Thursday, including a celebratory rally past wrecked houses and government buildings.

However, schools stayed closed in southern Israel, where nerves were jangled by warning sirens - a false alarm, the IDF said.

Residents of Gaza return to their homes with hope the cease-fire persists. ITV's John Ray reports.

The truce was the fruit of intensive diplomacy by Egypt’s new Islamist regime, spurred by U.S. President Barack Obama, who sent Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to the Middle East.

Reuters contributed to this report.

More world stories from NBC News:

Follow World News from NBCNews.com on Twitter and Facebook