Abir Sultan / EPA
Gila Molcho (C) holds the picture of her brother Ian Feinberg who was killed in 1993 by Palestinian militants.
TEL AVIV, Israel - The father of an Israeli man who was knifed-to-death said he was dismayed that the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was set to release a prisoner connected with his son's slaying.
"I feel that the blood of my son is being abandoned," Cyril Feinberg said on Monday. "We came to live in a Jewish state with moral values of Judaism and justice."
Yusuf Abdel Al was sent to prison after being convicted of having prior information about an April 18, 1993, attack that ended in the death of Israeli lawyer Ian Feinberg, Cyril Feinberg's son, in Gaza.
Feinberg, a 30-year-old married father of three, was working with an NGO funding Palestinian house-building and had been active in international Zionist youth organization Bnei Akiva, according to Israel's Almagor Terror Victims Association.
Abdel-Al is among 26 Palestinian prisoners set to be released in the next few days as part of a deal tied to upcoming peace talks. They will be the first of 104 prisoners slated to be let go during the course of the U.S.-backed negotiations.
Speaking from Al Bureij refugee camp in Gaza, Abdel Al's sister Muftiyeh said her family was surprised and happy with the decision to release her brother.
"I think I might faint when I see him," she said. "The last time I saw him was about 13 years ago when I visited him in prison. Ever since, no one else from the family is allowed to visit.”
The three Palestinians convicted in the killing of Feinberg were released as part of the last major prisoner swap deal – when 1,027 Palestinians were let go in exchange for one Israeli soldier, Gilad Shalit, on Oct. 18, 2011.
Feinberg’s sister, Gila Molcho, told NBC News Monday that the family did not protest the previous release since it was in order to achieve Shalit’s freedom – he had been held by Hamas for over five years. But now she said the family is angered by the release. “We are paying the price for nothing. That's not a peace process,” said Molcho.
The list of prisoners set to be released this time also includes Abu-Musa Salam Ali Atia who killed Holocaust survivor Isaac Rotenberg in a Petah Tikvah construction site in 1994, The Times of Israel reported.
A panel of three cabinet ministers headed by Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon and security and legal personnel made the decision to release the 26 late on Sunday. Families of Israelis victimized by the inmates' attacks have 48 hours to appeal the decision, but based on past decisions, the court was unlikely to intervene, according to Reuters.
Saeb Erakat, the chief Palestinian peace negotiator, welcomed the release but added that he was disappointed too.
"We expected to take part in choosing the names with the Israelis, but as usual the Israelis like to dictate to us," he said.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas had demanded the release of these men, many held since before a 1993 interim peace deal with Israel, as a condition for agreeing to resume talks that broke down in 2010 in a dispute over Jewish settlement building.
Also on Sunday, Israel's housing minister gave final approval for building nearly 1,200 new settlement apartments on lands the Palestinians want for their state, just three days before the talks on the borders of such a state were to begin in Jerusalem.
NBC News' F. Brinley Bruton, and Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report.