Divers in Italy say they've found two bodies - believed to be the last of the missing victims of the shipwrecked Costa Concordia. Work to raise the cruise liner began last week, and has allowed salvage workers to carry out a more thorough search of the decks. ITV's Paul Davies reports.
Divers spotted human remains near the Costa Concordia wreck and will perform DNA tests to determine if they are the bones of two people missing and presumed dead since last year's crash off the Italian island of Giglio.
An official said it was "almost a miracle" to find the the remains around the center part of the ship, where Italian passenger Mara Grazia Tricarichi and Indian crew member Russel Rebello were last seen.
Their families were notified of the discovery. It could take several days for a lab in Tuscany to test the remains once police divers retrieve them from the water.
"I have been waiting 20 months for this," said Rebello's brother, Kevin Rebello, who had just returned to Milan from Giglio when officials called him with the news. "I am prepared for it."
He said his brother's widow and 5-year-old son were in India, waiting anxiously for confirmation.
"When they identify the bodies, I think it's going to be a relief for everyone," he told NBC News.
Rebello and Tricarichi were among 32 people who were killed when the luxury cruise ship slammed into rocks and capsized on Jan. 13, 2012. The other 30 victims were recovered.
Their families had worried that they might never be found.
"Sometimes I wonder if she has been swept out to sea by the currents," Tricarichi's widower, Elio Vincenzi, told NBC News last week.
His wife was on the ship to celebrate her 50th birthday with her daughter, Stefania, 18, who has launched a bid to become Miss Italy and fulfill a dream of her mother's.
After the accident, the liner was left lying on its side until it was rotated upright in a complex, 19-hour salvage operation.
Finding the submerged remains after so long was "almost a miracle," Civil Protection chief Franco Gabrielli said, according to Reuters.
Crews also plan to haul out some of the ship's computers in the hope they can shed some light on why generators and other equipment failed after the crash.
The Costa Concordia will be towed away from Giglio by next spring and scrapped. The captain, Francesco Schettino, is on trial for manslaughter after being accused of taking the vessel dangerously off route and abandoning ship.
The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
Laura Lezza / Getty Images
A diver participates in a search operation Tuesday for missing bodies onboard the Costa Concordia.
- Watch time-lapse video of operation to set Costa Concordia cruise liner upright
- Photos reveal crumpled cabins on uprighted Costa Concordia
- Husband of missing Costa Concordia victim: 'I wonder if she has been swept out to sea'